index - downloads - photos - forum - youtube

Home Help Login Register

+  kegetys.fi
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: Mr.Gambler)
| | |-+  SoftTH source code release
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SoftTH source code release  (Read 60455 times)
kegetys
Administrator

« on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »

First, the most important: SoftTH 2 source code is available here: soffth_source_release.zip (http://www.kegetys.fi/dl.php/soffth_source_release.zip), licensed under GNU GPL v3 (see license.txt)

I wanted to write some notes of the source but I havent found the time to do it so it is here in a bit raw form. Its a VS 2005 project, see readme for requirements. The configurations are a bit broken, you need to select the matching configuration for the architecture (Release for Win32 and Release x64 for x64).

It is looking quite likely I wont be developing SoftTH much further personally at least in major ways, so hopefully the source will find a new home. Feel free to upload it to github or similar services for easier collaboration.

As for the reasons why development has been almost at a halt is mostly lack of time and interest - It has been over 6 years since the start of the project now and the "I wonder if it would be possible" has been answered. SoftTH's concept is proven but supporting it is quite labor intensive: New games come out which do unexpected things, and new Direct3D versions come and go. Also since I have done professional software development for a few years now I tend to want to find something else to do on my free time. Trying new experimental things and making something nobody else has done before is still as interesting as ever but I think SoftTH is mostly past that stage.

For a bit of history the birth of SoftTH happend in the Live for Speed forums here (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=33993#post33993) and here (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=1930&page=4). The Matrox Triplehead2go gave me the original idea of rendering on a single card and copying the side monitor images to other video cards as I thought it should be possible to do what the th2go did with software. Back then I only had an AGP+PCI system and I knew from the numbers that its not going to work - PCI Express would be needed but motherboards with two PCI Express slots were very expensive back then. Regardless I decided to skimp on other components when doing a system upgrade and got myself a dual slot motherboard so I could test the concept. Turns out it worked quite well so the money was well spent.

I originally kind of hoped that major video card manufacturers would pick the triple monitor feature up and implement it without needing the likes of SoftTH. To some extent it has happened but still not well enough in my opinion, very obvious and easy features are still missing. Hopefully they'll get there eventually Smiley
BHawthorne
User

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:42:23 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the src release. I'm sure there'll be a few interesting projects come from this.  Smiley
Elite
User

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Thanks for releasing the source Kegetys. Hopefully it finds its way into someone's capable hands able enough to continue your fantastic legacy!
TheButcher
User

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »

Thank you Kegety!!!!

Ra Kaan
User

SoftTH FTW

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »

I'm excited to see what becomes of this !

Atinoda
User

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »

Super generous of you to release your hard work out into the wild, thanks Kegetys!

It's a really cool and unique bit of software and I hope that it continues to develop and grow in the public domain.

...just think, maybe one day you'll download some useful graphics utility and find your code at the heart of it..
dr_raff
User

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »

Hi @ all!

First: I BIG GREAT THANK YOU for you kegetys!
My dreams come true for the last 2 Years with your great Software.

Second: I'm a guy who is very interested for electronics and computers.
My Job is repair and maintanance copier-systems and printers.

In the last years i dont had any reason to learn how to programming.
I had never really the motivation for.
But now i have a reason...And its a very good reason (for me)... Cheesy
Because I want play all the new Games which only supports DX11 (and i think i'm not alone. Smiley ) without spending a lot of money.

Until now i have download the source. I've installed VS2008, downloaded the zlib and distorm lib's and the directx_sdk. I've configured all these with the VS2008 an convert your source to VS2008.

Just for fun i clicked "build" and i had seen there are hundreds of Errors while compiling.

My question to you, is it possible for you to give out the source from the 2.08b_x86-programm?
I mean the source from the stable release without Errors. I first wanna look at this source and learn how to modify this for dx11 and learn to programming directx and c++.

I'm a really "noob" in the topic of programming, but i really want to know how!
I realize its not done in 3 days...
I dont know if i get success,but i would try...
I dont want that eyefinity and 3d_surround is the end for the project "softth".

Best regards and a wonderfull Weekend! Ralf
kegetys
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »

If the environment is set up right then it should compile without errors. You might need the Windows SDK as well in addition to the mentioned libraries, though I'd expect VS2008 to come with a recent one already.
dr_raff
User

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:31:11 PM »

I have many Errors at the beginning like "IDXGIFactory1 : base class undefinded ......
Wich MW-SDK Version do i need? Still set up with VS2008 is v6.0a   6.1.6723.1.
THX
Quadcoremax
User

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:35:53 AM »

Thanks for all the efforts & the will you had to produce such an amazing tool which is only used/known by those who had the same idea. We are all like you Kegetys, thinking about how to extract the maximum from the software we test, mod, develop, debug & eventually release. We always thriving to do our best in this relative ever more complexed world, where multinationals/game industries try to brainwash the majority of gamers worldwide, to get a better control over them.

They will eventually one day understand, it's cooperation & real efficient, simplified solutions that needs to be looked at. More people like you & the community experts here, must reveal themselves to the world & show how much hypocrisy has lasted over these last years. Poor guys nowadays, those who believe arrogantly, that they own the coolest surround configs with their new DX11 GPUs...

Like you, I have done some serious modding for Shift (DLC Xbox Pack Conversion) & Racer, I finally realize that all my ideas are existing/shared commonly with others worldwide, which brings me to the conclusion, that we are ALL 1 conscience. Today, we struggle ourselves to understand what we expect really from life ; we know (as we already have experienced) that we can materialize any ideas in programs or even hardware/custom modded machines/pc.

For the hope, we have been dreaming to believe that companies (ATI /NVIDIA) will be kind/smart enough to release real intelligent & optimized shader algorithms, alternatives & efforts to show the world, how to build a real efficient 3D engine with the same hardware. I talk here ecologically & efficaciously, because at the end, we trash the expensive hardware which we haven't be able to test enough (time/complexity constraints) & implement new hacks/systems for a more enjoyable gaming experience.

It's a shame in the end, seeing all those new DX11 games with some of the most basics features for surround gaming been not implemented that shows the evil side...Why would you in your entire life, wait for something that you pertinently know, could be already existing ? Same question for all aspects of life...You're the perfect proof....

I say honestly, why wait for free energy (Tesla, electromagnetism, wind, photovoltaics...) & quantum pc (infinite computing) when we know that people worldwide, already own those technologies & try to live a more enjoyable life with it ?

The world leaders have put a price on everything & today, we see nothing has a real value apart from the information we are emitting/receiving/filtering. This forum is a real gold mine for all who can imagine & fulfill the dreams that they had. That's how all began here for all of us with a determined mind to find the supposed magical tool to project any game in almost any virtual resolution...

Sadly, I bet, even with your SC release, ATI/NVIDIA DX11 users won't see any features improvements soon, because any feature will be sold in a new GPU, since they need to get the people brains locked. Truly said, most people worldwide don't know nothing about alternatives or "out of the box" thinking...They want to continue to believe & hope...
ruhtraeel
User

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

I really do hope that someone can enable DX11 support as well as Crossfire/SLI, then I can use my 1280*1024 1920*1080 1280*1024 for good use.

I am a 3rd computer science student, and I would gladly take a shot at making DX11 and/or SLI/Crossfire support, but I would definitely need some pointers in the right direction.

I have written space invaders in x86 assembly (programming with an old Pentium 3 machine's GPU), and I would imagine that my Operating Systems course this term would really help in the bridge between low level and high level programming

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of C++ because of garbage collection, but I'm still looking over the code
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:19:52 AM by ruhtraeel » Logged
born2beflyin
User

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »

After having been away from the forum for a while, to my pleasant surprise upon my return the source code it out!  I'm so excited!  I can't wait to take a look at!  My time is spread pretty thin these days between my family, my real job, and other projects I have going on, but I hope to get my first look at the inner workings of this marvel this weekend.  I'll keep you posted on my findings/progress.

Cheers,

born2beflyin
born2beflyin
User

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 07:36:32 PM »

After a couple hours of building dependencies and setting up/debugging my development environment setup, I finally got SoftTH to build.  The fresh 32-bit DLL appeared to work just fine.  Now that I know I can build it, it's time to get into the tough job of figuring out how to modify it without doing something totally ridiculous.  It'll take me some time to comb through the code and the DirectX SDK and get a decent handle on what's happening, but I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, what are some DX11 games you'd like to see work with SoftTH?

Also, are there any features you feel could be added?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Also, I'm open to any suggestions on how/where to host the code, and I'm willing to conform to any desires you may have Kegetys.

Thanks for this awesome piece of code!

born2beflyin
Koshums
User

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »

I've been playing with the source too. Got it building in VS2010 and started trying to get a skeleton D3D11 program running through the dll.

At the moment I'm just trying to bounce all the calls to the real d3d11.dll, but it's crashing inside D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain. I've never done any of this dll hooking stuff before, so I'm probably overlooking something!

Anyway, thanks for releasing this kegetys. Hopefully we'll be able to get DX11 working before long.
TheButcher
User

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:39 AM »

Really stoked to see you guys working on the code!

If I may suggest BF3 as the benchmark DX11 title to get it working?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4